Friday 15 January 2016

Enjoying snow through fresh eyes.

Ours were the only footprints in the vast playground.
Sometimes it takes the young children in my class to make me appreciate the simple things in life, like snow. Like most adults I am not a huge fan of snow and I really think it's because we don't ever get enough of it to get used to it! If I think back to 2010 I finally learned how to drive in snow after 2-3 weeks of having to. In general for us adults snow is an inconvenience - it makes getting on with our every day lives a little bit harder than normal. 
However, if I am honest, since becoming a nursery teacher I have begun to look at snow differently - in fact probably all weather! When I wake up to snow on a school day, I get just as excited as a 3 year old and I can't wait to see the reaction of the children as they arrive.
For many of the children in my class this was only the 2nd time they had had snow that they could remember - they all came in so happy & couldn't wait to get on their rain gear and go play with the sleighs & snow & ice around the playground. One child said today was all about smashing in the mud kitchen as he enjoyed breaking up all the ice. I was so impressed by how well this class managed at negotiating turns on the 4 sleighs, usually everyone wants to be pulled along but none wants to do the hard work of pulling!
Could this be the beginnings of a castle built by the older children?
We headed for a walk up to the main school playground, as I knew we'd one of the few classes to get out in the snow today. They children loved running around in the larger space, listening to the snow going crunch, crunch, crush underfoot & exploring the mud kitchen belonging to the older children. They also headed off into the wooded are to see if they could find Bear Woods. 
Who needs chalk when you have snow & fingers!
I think I am so fortunate to get to see the world through the eyes of so many optimistic and enthusiastic young children.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful post. First school is always special for every child and Cradle2crayons is the best choice for playgroup nursery school in Nagpur. For more detail visit Cradle2crayons or contact 7304252216.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.