Friday 23 January 2015

Blood is Thicker Than Water.


How many times in life have you heard the expression 'Blood is thicker than water'? It is one of those stock phrases people wheel out at various times and I had never really thought about it until this past week. My dad, who was 80 last October but still working on a voluntary basis every day, took sick very suddenly on the 7th of January & was admitted to the ICU the following morning & died a week later. 
Over that week my mum, brother & I sat with him throughout the day & into the evenings. Initially we thought he was going to be ok but on the Sunday the doctors told us this was 'an end of life experience' for my dad. This is when the phrase became a reality for us, my aunts & uncles, cousins & in-laws all went into action & kept us company, fed us & offered support in any way they could over the next few difficult days as my dad got weaker & weaker.
Growing up I was surrounded by ready made playmates in the guise of my many cousins, we rarely needed too many friends at our parties as we had so many of them around the same age as ourselves. But obviously as we all grew up & got on with our own busy lives we didn't see each other just as much, the girl cousins on my mum's side have tried to meet up once a year for a meal, just to make sure we keep that connection but it has been a while since we were all together. 
My dad's sister has always been great at organising meet ups for us all at least once a year, I usually just get a phone call with the date & time & we spend an afternoon just chatting & reminiscing. 

Since the 15th of January when my dad passed away, the wider family circle again provided so much support for us all; from making teas, sandwiches & food for the many visitors & us during the wake to just being there for us to hold onto at the more difficult times. Sometimes it does take a sad occasion to make families pull together & this was certainly so true for us. I am truly blessed to belong to such a big extended family on my parents' side & on my husband's side. The latter have been through so much themselves in the past 6 months we had all become so much closer already.

I know my dad would be so happy to see us all pulling together, reconnecting & rekindling life-long relationships. So here's to family & I am truly fortunate to belong to one of the best. So a massive thanks to all the Woods', Murdocks, Collins', Buckles, Morris', McCartans, Hartleys, Corrs, O'Neills, Cannings, Kilpatricks,  Cullens & McAndrews for being there when you were needed the most. 

This post is dedicated to Desmond Buckle, a true gentleman & the best husband, dad, father-in-law, papa, uncle, brother & brother-in-law ever. October 19th 1934 - 15th January 2015.

11 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have been surrounded by love and support during this terribly difficult time...a true tribute to your father and your family. Again, so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your father was a truly lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kierna - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, but it sounds like you have a terrific family. Best wishes to all of you - Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss, you have a truly amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers to you and your family and being there for each other! It is a tribute to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad, how wonderful to have such an amazing support network and extended family. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kierna,
    You are blessed with this wonderful bond of family, and I'm so glad that they were there for you at this time. Your family sounds somewhat like my family on my father's side.
    Hugs,
    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful post in honor of your family. So many families fall apart at difficult times. I'm glad that it brought you even closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear of your loss, Kierna. Please know you are in the thoughts of the Kinderchat community. Much love and Peace to you. <3 Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. My deepest Condolences to you and your loved ones. I lost my dad in my 20s and wonder how it would be if he could've seen me getting married and having kids of my own. : ) .. May you be comforted by the beautiful memories you had with your dear dad too. Blessings sincerely, Angie. Your blog has been an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kierna, I am so sorry for your loss.

    xxo
    Salma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your comments & support during the difficult time xxx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.