I was lucky to get a chance to visit Şarkışla in Turkey this month through the British Council's Comenius Scheme. This was a preparatory meeting between schools in Poland, Greece, Romania, Spain, Turkey & N.Ireland who want to establish a 2 year project together.
I had no concept at all of Turkey, the culture or the people, so went with a complete open/blank mind. All I can say is that I fell in love with this wonderful country and it's people, who were more than hospitable. I hope that this project goes ahead & I get the opportunity to try and repay them for their kindness & I get a chance to return in a few years time.
So here are the 10 things I learned about this beautiful country & region:
1. The people are so friendly - I was met at the airport with flowers!
2. They love to socialise as much as me - chocolate & tea/coffee at every opportunity
3. The food - amazing & delicious
4. The history is fascinating & inspriring
5. The language is very soft & soothing to listen to
6. The men are excellent dancers!
7. Turkish women are very slim
8. The men like to grow moustaches!
9. Real Turkish delight is gorgeous
10. Turkish toilets are very different to European ones!
But to me number 1 is the most important - I made friends for life in a few short days.
With special thanks to Mehmet, Saliha, Erkan & Fatma.